Corporate Profile

HOME > Corporate Profile

Corporate History

60 Years history of TOHKAI KAIUN

Year Major operational events
May 1949 Headquarters were established at 3-1Shiba Kaigandori, Minato-ku, Tokyo with ¥500,000 in capital. Masajiro Tsuruoka was appointed as the first President.
April 1951 Headquarters were moved to the current location
August 1951 The company obtained a Category 2 registration (onboard cargo handling business) at the Port of Keihin, in compliance with the Port Transportation Business Act.
December 1951 Following the above, the company obtained a Category 4 registration (coastal cargo handling business) at the Port of Keihin.
The capital was increased to ¥1,500,000.
February 1953 The capital was increased to ¥2,500,000.
May 1953 The capital was increased to ¥3,000,000.
Chiba local office was opened in conjunction with the opening of the Chiba Steel Plant of Kawasaki Steel Corporation.
October 1953 The company obtained a Category 2 registration (onboard cargo handling business) at the Port of Chiba, in conjunction with the opening of the above.
June 1954 As the conventional category of business was considered insufficient to cope with the development of the Port of Tokyo, the company obtained a Category 1 registration (general port transport business) at the Port of Keihin.
December 1954 The company obtained a Category 4 registration (coastal cargo handling business) at the Port of Chiba.
November 1955 The company obtained a license for general port transport of vehicle cargo over a limited area, for business operations related to ports.
December 1955 The capital was increased to ¥5,000,000.
October 1960 Due to the death of the President, Masajiro Tsuruoka, Motohide Tsuruoka was appointed to take over the presidency. Also the Yokohama Office was opened.
April 1961 The capital was increased to ¥6,000,000.
July 1961 The capital was increased to ¥9,000,000.
May 1962 The business of the Yokohama Office expanded, and the company obtained a license for customs clearance from Yokohama Customs.
June 1962 The Kobe Office was opened as a transportation agent for Alaska Pulp Co., Ltd.
July 1962 The capital was increased to ¥12,000,000.
September 1963 The capital was increased to ¥20,000,000.
March 1964 In compliance with the amendments to the Port Transportation Business Act, the company obtained licenses of Category 2 (onboard cargo handling business) and Category 4 (coastal cargo handling business) at the Port of Chiba.
September 1964 Under the same conditions as the above, the company obtained the licenses of Category 1 (general port transport business), Category 2 (onboard cargo handling business) and Category 4 (coastal cargo handling business) at the Port of Keihin.
October 1964 The Chiba local office was upgraded to a branch to enhance business.
July 1966 The capital was increased to ¥40,000,000.
June 1967 To expand the business related to ports, the company obtained the license of customs clearing agent from Tokyo Customs.
April 1968 The capital was increased to ¥80,000,000.
April 1968 The Haneda Office was opened because of the establishment of the Department of Customs Clearance at Haneda Airport.
March 1969 The company obtained a permit for bonded sheds for business use to expand its business related to ports.
April 1969 Tokai Express Co., Ltd. was established for the purpose of vehicle transport business within the Chiba Steel Plant of Kawasaki Steel Corporation, and Shigeji Tsuruoka was appointed as the President.
January 1970 Trade name of "TOHKAI NIYAKU CO., LTD." was changed to "TOHKAI KAIUN CO., LTD."
April 1970 Tohkai Jiko Co., Ltd. was established in Anegasaki, Ichihara-shi, Chiba Prefecture, for the purpose of operating as an automobile mechanic business, and Motohide Tsuruoka was appointed as the first president.
December 1970 Tokyo Boeki Futo Co., Ltd. was established at Odaiba Waterfront (No. 13-2), invested in by 4 corporations, Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha, Ltd., Interocean Shipping Corporation, Daito Corporation, and TOHKAI KAIUN CO., LTD., and Motohide Tsuruoka was appointed as the first president.
June 1971 The company obtained a license for general area vehicle cargo transport which covers the entire Tokyo metropolitan area, for the purpose of business area expansion. The capital was increased to ¥160,000,000.
April 1975 The Ohi CY local office was opened in conjunction with the start of berth work for Ohi No. 1, at the Ohi Container Terminal. The capital was increased to ¥200,000,000.
January 1976 Due to the loss of the headquarters building by fire, Shibaura Labor Center was remodeled as the headquarters building.
May 1980 A new item "Sale, purchase and lease services of real estate" was added to the type of business categories, and one condominium for rent was built in Nishiterao-machi, Kanagawa-ku, Yokohama-shi.
June 1983 With the start of the cargo handling operations of the foreign trade business at the bonded area designated by the public pier of Ohi District, the Ohi storage shed office for maritime cargo was opened.
April 1986 As the port cargo handling business was limited to work onboard and at the port, which required a uniform cargo handling implementation, and taking into consideration the actual situation with respect to consignment work from users in the future, an application for an unlimited license for a port cargo handling business was made, in order to change from the existing limited business to a wider full cargo business. The company obtained the licenses for "cargo handling at the Port of Keihin," and "cargo handling at the Port of Chiba."
October 1986 The office in the Tokyo Boeki Futo was opened to enhance the sales operations of the headquarters, and it was promoted to a branch.
April 1987 In conjunction with the opening of NAIGAI NITTO CO., LTD. at the Ohi Logistics Center, the Ohi Logistics Center Office was opened.
October 1988 In conjunction with the opening of the Ohi Pier Warehouse at the Tokyo Bay Center of THE SHIBUSAWA WAREHOUSE CO., LTD., the Ohi Pier Warehouse Office at the Tokyo Bay Center was opened.
April 1989 In conjunction with the opening of Daito Corporation Ohi Logistics Center, the Ohi Logistics Center Office was opened.
September 1989 Funabashi Bonded Warehouse was built in Katsunan district of Funabashi-shi, Chiba Prefecture, and a new office was opened.
December 1989 Rental condominium "Ygrec 43" was built in Makuharihongo, Hanamigawa-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba. In the following year, another rental condominium "Ygrec 42" was built at the same location.
September 1991 The company acquired a rental condominium "Sancerre Nokata" in Nogata, Nakano-ku.
May 1993 In conjunction with the opening of Daito Corporation World Logistics Center, the World Logistics Center Office was opened.
June 1993 In conjunction with the opening of Daito Corporation Ohi Constant Temperature Center, the Ohi Constant Temperature Center Office was opened.
October 1995 The Funabashi Office was promoted to a sales office to enhance the business of the Funabashi Office.
April 1996 Ariake Central Station (TACS) was constructed in the Line 3 area of Odaiba Pier (2-51 Ohme, Koto-ku) and a new office was opened.
July 2000 "Arrangement Center," a packing workplace for fruits and vegetables for the restaurant industry and mass retailers, was opened within TACS.
July 2001 The company obtained a "license for general port transport business" at the Port of Chiba.
April 2002 Total cargo handling of recycled materials for the Naoshima Factory of Mitsubishi Material was started in Aomi district.
January 2003 "DC Center," a logistics processing factory of sundries for FC chains was opened within TACS.
April 2003 The company acquired storage shed at Line 2 of Odaiba Pier, and started business as "TACS2."
February 2004 The company obtained a "permit to collect and transport industrial waste," and a "permit to collect and transport industrial waste under special control" in Oume district.
March 2004 "TACS3 Port of Tokyo Recycle Center" was opened in Ohta-ku in Tokai district.
May 2004 "Chugoku Mokuzai Liason office" was opened in Shin-Minato, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi.
December 2006 Motohide Tsuruoka was appointed as Chairman, and Jun-ichi Tsuruoka was appointed as President.


We provide services are related to importation / exportation mainly based in the Tokyo Bay area.
  • Presidents Message
  • Corporate Profile
  • Corporate History
  • Operational permits and licenses
  • List of Office Locations